If you are considering breast implant surgery, there are some things you should think about beforehand. Let’s talk about the facts and where you can go in Atlanta, GA, for outstanding cosmetic surgery.
Breast implant surgery may be considered for many reasons, including to:
- Increase/restore the size of the breasts
- Correct asymmetrical (different sized or shaped) breasts
- Restore volume in the breasts – lost through weight loss or pregnancy
- Boost confidence
- Affirm gender identity
- Restore breasts after a mastectomy (breast reconstruction surgery)
How is surgery performed?
Breast augmentation surgery can be carried out in different ways.
An inframammary incision is the most common approach to breast augmentation surgery which involves making an incision along the bottom crease of the breast. This is then hidden by the natural fold of the breast.
Other methods include periareolar (an incision around the outer edge of your areola), and endoscopic transaxillary or transumbilical breast augmentation, which are used to avoid visible breast scars. The technique involves placing the implants through a small incision, either in the armpit or the belly button, with the assistance of an endoscope (a long, thin tube with a small camera inside).
What type of implants should I consider?
Breast implants are artificial devices composed of a silicone shell filled with either silicone gel or saline (sterile salt water). Silicone breast implants are filled with a specialized, medical-grade gel that can create a more natural feel and look compared with saline breast implants, but this can depend on the breast size (before surgery) and the position of their placement.
Breast implants are typically round or teardrop-shaped. Round implants are generally more popular and aim to create a fuller breast with a cleavage, whereas teardrop implants are considered more anatomically correct and natural in appearance.
Ultimately, deciding which implant to use will come down to aesthetic goals and personal preference.
What Size Breast Implant Should I Choose?
Choosing the right implant size for your body is an important decision and can help reduce the chances of making a costly mistake. When thinking about size, it is important to consider the factors, such as your body shape and size, your hobbies and lifestyle, and the look you are hoping to achieve.
How long do breast implants last?
On average, new breast implants last about 10 years, but this is again individualized. As the breast implant ages, there is an increased risk of the implant rupturing (breaking apart).
Are there risks involved?
Breast implant surgery is considered a relatively safe procedure. However, as with any type of surgery, there are potential risks to be aware of, including:
- Pain and tenderness
- Excessive scar tissue
- Cosmetic dissatisfaction
- Breast implant complications, such as breast implant rupture or leaks, or hardening of the implants
- The need for additional surgery in the future, such as removal/replacement, removing scar tissue or repositioning an implant
- Potential breastfeeding complications
- Breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) – a rare cancer of the immune system that develops in the tissue next to breast implants.
Am I a candidate for breast implants?
Ideal candidates are:
- Not pregnant or breastfeeding
- Fully informed with realistic expectations
- healthy and at a stable weight
- Aged 18 or older for saline implants or 22 or older for silicone implants
Breast Implant Surgery in Atlanta, GA
If you are considering breast implant surgery, contact board-certified, fellowship-trained plastic surgeon Dr. Gregory Mackay, MD, who will help you achieve the results you wish for. With more than 30 years of experience, Dr. Mackay offers comprehensive nonsurgical and surgical cosmetic enhancements for your face and body.
To find out more about breast implant surgery or to schedule a consultation, call us today at (404) 255-2975, or you can request an appointment online.