Cosmetic surgery, also known as aesthetic surgery or plastic surgery, is a branch of medicine that focuses on enhancing a person’s appearance through surgical and medical techniques. The goals of cosmetic surgery are to lift a person’s self-esteem and self-confidence in their physical appearance. A large number of Americans undergo plastic surgery every year. An estimated 15 million cosmetic surgery procedures are performed annually in the United States.
Below, we outline everything you need to know about cosmetic surgery.
What Procedures Count as Cosmetic Surgery?
These facial procedures are among the most common in cosmetic surgery:
- Rhinoplasty, often referred to as a “nose job,” is a procedure that involves reshaping or resizing the nose to achieve a more balanced and harmonious facial appearance.
- Facelift surgery aims to address signs of aging by tightening and smoothing the facial skin, reducing the appearance of sagging and wrinkles.
- Other facial procedures include blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) to correct droopy eyelids or remove excess skin, brow lift to lift the forehead and reduce frown lines, chin augmentation to enhance the chin’s shape and prominence, and otoplasty (ear surgery) to reshape or reposition the ears.
Body enhancement procedures most commonly performed by cosmetic plastic surgeons include:
- Liposuction, also known as lipoplasty or body contouring. Liposuction involves the surgical removal of excess fat deposits from specific areas of the body, such as the abdomen, hips, thighs, arms, or neck. By targeting and eliminating stubborn fat, liposuction helps improve body contours, resulting in a more sculpted and proportionate appearance.
- Abdominoplasty, also known as a tummy tuck, involves removing excess skin and fat from the abdomen, tightening the abdominal muscles, and repositioning the belly button. Abdominoplasty helps create a smoother and firmer abdominal profile, particularly for individuals who have experienced significant weight loss or pregnancy.
- Breast augmentation, commonly referred to as a “boob job” involves the use of implants or fat transfer to increase breast size for proportion or to enhance the shape of the breasts. On the other hand, breast reduction aims to reduce the size of overly large breasts to alleviate physical discomfort and improve proportions. Breast lift, or mastopexy, involves lifting and reshaping sagging breasts to create a more youthful and uplifted appearance.
Is Cosmetic Surgery Safe?
The outcome of any cosmetic procedure is heavily dependent on the skill level of the plastic surgeon. You are apt to have beautiful and satisfying results if you choose a board-certified and fellowship-trained cosmetic plastic surgeon. While there are risks associated with plastic surgery, cosmetic surgeons take great pains to minimize them for the patient.
One of the most important decisions you can make is choosing a plastic surgeon that performs in their own AAA-certified operating room. The American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF) sets rigorous standards for patient safety, ensuring that the operating room meets the highest standards of quality and care. Compliance with these standards minimizes the risk of complications and ensures a safe surgical environment.
What Are Some Things I Should Consider Before Cosmetic Surgery?
Patients who are of reasonably good health and with realistic expectations make good candidates for cosmetic surgery. The plastic surgeon will determine whether you are right for the specific procedure you want to be done and ensure you know what you need to do to prepare for the surgery and recovery. Cosmetic surgery entails a downtime and period of recovery, the specifics of which every patient should be made aware.
Board-Certified and Fellowship Trained Plastic Surgeon in Atlanta, GA
Dr. Gregory Mackay is an award-winning plastic surgeon in Atlanta, specializing in face and body cosmetic surgery with natural results. Dr. Mackay has over 25 years of experience and operates in our AAA-certified operating room with an overnight recovery suite. Dr. Mackay and our well-trained and compassionate team of health professionals will do everything necessary to make your surgery journey as safe and comfortable for you as possible.