Each year, millions of women undergo breast augmentation surgery designed to increase the size of breasts, correct asymmetry (lack of equal measurement), or to simply improve aesthetic appearance. Whether it’s to create a fuller, more ample bustline, lift sagging breasts, or provide repair following an accident or illness, breast enhancement surgery is a popular option made safer and more accessible thanks to medical advancements.
Breasts are reshaped using implants that are inserted above or beneath the pectoralis major muscle in the chest wall, creating a pocket where the breast implant rests, thereby enlarging one or both breasts. The type of implant used depends on what size and shape will best provide you with the look you want to achieve.
If you are considering breast augmentation, check out the information below on breast implants.
Types of Breast Implants
There are various kinds of breast implants to choose from. These include:
- Saline breast implants – These are filled with sterile salt water. Your body absorbs some of the saline over time, which makes the implant feel firmer.
- Structured saline breast implants – These are made from a gel material that provides a more natural feel than traditional saline implants. There is a thin membrane between the gel and outer shell of the implant that makes it easier to feel the implant move when touched. Also, structured saline implants can be removed if necessary later in life.
- Silicone breast implants – These FDA-approve implants are made of silicone gel that has been liquefied and injected into a mold where it sets to form its implantable shell.
- Gummy bear breast implants – Also known as cohesive gel filling (GCF), cohesive silicone gel (CSG), or silastic implant, these implants are composed of a solid shell that is filled with silicone gel. They have no outer covering, thus they feel more natural within your body.
- Round breast implants – These implants, made of FDA-approved cohesive gel silicone elastomer, contain no filler material and provide a natural look to your breasts that don’t stand out when wearing clothes.
- Textured breast implants – These implants have a rougher surface that is designed to prevent capsular contracture (formation of scar tissue) and hardening of scar tissue surrounding the implant. They are also less likely to rupture than silicone gel-filled implants.
Choosing the Right Implant Size
There are several factors you and your reconstructive surgeon must consider when selecting the best implant size, including:
- Your weight – Women who are heavier or lighter tend to have more implant size options than those within the middle range of weight.
- Your original breast size – If you are currently a small A or B cup, getting much larger implants could look disproportionate or unnatural. Nevertheless, larger implants can provide a full look. You might want to stick with smaller implants if your breasts are already large but sagging, thereby giving them a lift without looking disproportionately bigger than the rest of your body frame.
- Your frame and body type – Choose implants that complement your body shape without being noticeably too big or too small.
- Your lifestyle – Consider how your implants may affect your type of normal physical activity. If you frequently exercise, for example, you may want a larger implant, so there is less chance of injury.
Other Things to Consider
Keep in mind that once you undergo breast augmentation, your implants will be permanent unless you pursue more surgery. If you are still unsure of the size that best fits your body, you might want to choose a smaller implant that can be adjusted later, if necessary.
Also, it is important to choose an experienced, board-certified surgeon who can explain the procedure in detail, so you fully understand what it involves, and one who has positive reviews from former patients who were happy with their results.
Breast Augmentation and Implants in Atlanta, Georgia
At Atlanta Plastic & Reconstructive Specialists, our breast augmentation patients rave about getting the fuller, natural-looking results they have always dreamed of. Our board-certified doctors work closely with our experienced staff of care professionals to ensure that each and every patient receives superior treatment and communication throughout the entire process.
To learn more about our breast augmentation services, call us today at our Northside Office at (404) 255-2975 or our Piedmont West office at (404) 343-0897 to schedule a consultation or use our convenient online contact form.